Levi Button (died aged 31)
Click on a photo for a larger version
Levi was the brother of my wife’s great grandmother.
- Born in 1886
- Married 1910
- Joined up with the Grenadier Guards – 15 December 1914
- Went missing during the Battle of the Somme – 25 September 1916
- Next of Kin notified that he was missing – 16 October 1916
- Next of Kin notified that he was dead – 09 July 1917
(although his body was never found)
- Widow’s pension paid dating from – 21 May 1917
- Total service: 243 days in UK, and 1 year 42 days in France
- Left a wife with four children
His name is listed on the Thiepval Memorial as one of the tens of thousands whose bodies were never found.
Steve Clark – “Oh What a Lovely War!” cast member